News: Coindesigner 1.3 has been released
Coindesigner is a RAD (rapid application development) system to build 3D applications using Coin3D openInventor. It allows to write simple 3D scenarios just using drag&drop, so users require no programming acknoledges at all to use it.
coindesigner is a system equivalent to glade or qt-designer, where
we can choose components from the openInventor toolkit, add them
somewhere in our scene and configure them in a very easy way... and
all changes are applied to the scene on the fly!
Some characteristics of the tool are:
- Reads and write scenes in native openInventor file format
- Can import geometry from VRML, 3ds, DXF, OFF (from geomview), SMF, sphere trees .SPH and XYZ point clouds file formats.
- Can export geometry to file formats VRML2, SMF, OBJ, STL, OFF y XYZ.
- It allows to visualize volumetric data (such as medical CT) if SIM Voleon is available in your system.
- Makes some basic geometrical operations, as mesh reduction (with QSLIM) and convex hull computation.
- It includes cdsview, an minimalistic external viewer that allows
you to view and distribute scenes without need of coindesigner.
- Provides helpers to define colors (with QColorDialog), file paths (with QFileDialog), menus for enumerated types and much more...
- Allows to use manips to configure Lights and Transform nodes.
Just use the right mouse button to interchange between those
nodes and their manip!
- GUI has been translated to English, Spanish and Portuguese
- Includes the complete coin reference and several tutorials directly brownsables from the application.
- It's as multiplatform as coin3d and Qt are. It works under Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- It's open source released under GPL license.
coindesigner is being developed as a CS degree by Tomás Aguado
under the direction of Jose M. Espadero and the crew of the GMRV group. The translation to Brasilian Portuguese has been kindly done by Jorge Barros de Abreu. The English translation of tutorials is done by Winter Laite. If you want to contribute, it's very easy.
To build it, you will need the Coin3D
libraries and Qt SDK. For windows
users we sometimes provide binaries compiled with QT3 Windows Free Edition